Stephen Ministry is grounded in Jesus' command to love one another just as he loved us, and the conviction that no one should have to suffer alone. Through one-to-one caring relationships, those who are hurting receive the love and care they need to support them.
- Is life more than you can handle alone right now?
- Are your health, your attitude, or your relationships suffering?
- Are you adjusting to a new job, change in marital status, a serious illness, the death of a loved one, or a recent move?
- Would you like to have someone in your life who really cares?
Everyone goes through difficult times. Having someone to care, to listen, to share God's love with you can help you get through the confusion, stress, or loneliness you may be experiencing.
How does the referrals process work?
Any adult (over 18 years of age) who is hurting and in need of Christian care can seek a Stephen Minister. It is not necessary to be a member of Holland's UMC to have a Stephen Minister.
The Referrals Coordinator will then contact the interested person and arrange a time that they can meet briefly to talk about Stephen Ministry, share expectations and answer questions that the person may have.
If the person decides he/she would like a Stephen Minister, the referrals coordinator prayerfully links him/her with a Stephen minister. The Stephen Minister and Care Receiver then decide on a schedule to meet and location (normally once a week for 1 hour).
Stephen Ministry is strictly confidential and distinctively Christian.
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is...
- A child of God who walks beside a hurting person
- A caring Christian friend who really listens
- Lay person who has received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care.
- A disciple who is committed to growing spiritually in relationship with Christ, and growing in skills through regular Stephen Ministry Supervision meetings.
A Stephen Minister is NOT...
- a professional counselor or therapist
- a problem solver
- a casual visitor.
Already you may be asking some questions: Who is Stephen ministry for? Who could benefit from a Stephen Minister? Stephen Ministry helps meet the needs of individuals who are in any life crisis that would benefit from a caring, Christian friend. Included, but not limited to...
- family crisis
- terminally ill
- life crisis issues
- bereaved / loss
- in a job crisis
- relationship issues
- new members of the church
- in a spiritual crisis
- looking for a caring, Christian friend.