Director of Music – Contemporary
Holland’s United Methodist Church
We are searching for an energetic and talented musician to lead the music for and to grow our Contemporary Worship service. The Lead Pastor has ultimate responsibility for all aspects of ministry at Holland’s United Methodist Church (HUMC). The Director of Music - Contemporary will provide leadership in directing the music ministry of the Connexion (contemporary worship service), rehearsal and performances of By Grace (praise & worship team), securing music for worship, and coordinating the PRZ (youth praise band). Through this ministry the community of Holland’s United Methodist Church is invited to express in a non-traditional worship experience, a “Connexion” to and with God, so that HUMC will be a place of intimacy, joy, love and worship of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, fulfilling our purpose statement: Holland’s UMC is a caring community that invites and equips people to follow Jesus.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Coordinating monthly band schedules, weekly band rehearsals.
- Prepare weekly the worship flow for the Connexion service, including song selections, worship intro video and other elements, communion service, etc.
- Conduct weekly practice, worship and musical leadership for the Connexion Service.
- Recruit, lead and train By Grace praise team (Band and Singers.)
- High skill level in leading from piano, keyboard or guitar.
- Work with volunteers to lead youth PRZ Band, to insure relevancy and fresh worship arts ideas..
- Make weekly worship assignments via Worshipplanning.com for the worship leader, band, and vocalists for the contemporary service.
- Encourage and lead the By Grace Worship Team in planning special events music, such as Christmas Concert, PRZ Youth Praise Team, Retreats (UMW, UMM), etc.
- Hold bi-monthly or weekly Sunday afternoon rehearsals & devotions for the Worship Team
- Must be able to coordinate with the AV Team on sound checks and the technical elements of the soundboard and equipment use.
- Collaborates with other church staff and worship team members to prepare for worship. This will include a weekly meeting with pastors.
- Remain current in professional development, worship trends, creative resources, and congregational needs and feedback. This includes worship seminars and training for the Worship Team, knowledge of the functions and potential church uses of ProPresenter and other technology and software to better the worship experience.
- Prepare annual budget for contemporary worship team and AV needs involved in worship services
- Other duties as assigned or required.
Education, Experience, and/or Qualification Requirements and Preferences:
- Must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Appropriate college degree, or two years experience or related training, or the equivalent combination of education and experience. A Bachelor’s degree in music is preferred but not required.
- Must be able to read chord charts, lead sheets and sheet music for the purpose of leading and teaching band members and all vocal parts (melody & harmony).
- Experience with multimedia aspects of worship services.
- Proficiency on guitar or keyboard and experience as a worship leader.
- Proficient in music and multi-media presentations. Embraces the use of technology in worship and skilled in the use of sound, computers, PowerPoint and video projection.
- Understands the depth and challenge required to blend the vocalists, microphones, speakers, and all other aspects to deliver a balanced sound experience. Possess musical gifts and talents that are relevant to this ministry position (vocal, instrumentation, arranging, worship flow, etc.)
- Possess excellent time management skills and organizational abilities. Successful candidate should be creative, detail oriented, flexible, and decisive, with the ability to organize and coordinate work, set priorities, delegate, and motivate others.
- Must clear background check and Safe Sanctuaries Policy.
- The Lead Pastor and SPRC partner will conduct an annual evaluation or more frequently as needed, at the discretion of the Lead Pastor and SPRC.
- The employee may request a meeting with the SPRC partner at any time.
Estimated Hours Required
This position requires approximately 15-20 hours per week.
Commensurate with education and experience
Position description available here.